Bundaberg War Nurses Memorial and Park
A pavilion in Bundaberg is Queensland's only war memorial specifically honouring the women who tended the injured behind battlelines in WWI. The sugar city's mayor FH Buss officially opened the Bundaberg War Nurses Memorial on 15 October 1949. The stucco and terracotta tiled building with arched openings cost more than £1000, raised in just seven weeks by public subscription and fundraising by Bundaberg General Hospital and the women of the Red Cross. The memorial honours 12 local women who served as nursing sisters in WWI and four who served in WWII, two of whom died: one as a Japanese prisoner of war and the other in the sinking of the Centaur. The Memorial Pavilion can be found in a triangular-shaped park planted with palm trees, dominated by a water tower, opposite the Bundaberg Base Hospital.